Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Earth Hour

The Metro, Ottawa today mentioned that ever since the launch of Earth Hour in Ottawa in the year of 2008, Ottawa has saved some electricity. The City people are hoping to have the darkest hour of Ottawa ever this year. From a 4% decrease in usage in 2008 to 6% in 2009 is definitely improvement. Can it get better? I say it can. The Earth Hour is an international initiative, and 88 countries and over 4000 cities participated last year.

Last year, to honour the earth hour, I turned off every single light in my house, unplugged the TV and printer and all other appliances except the refrigerator. And then, I went out for a nice long walk. I hope to do the same this year as well. I am writing about the Earth Hour here, hoping to get more people to participate for the Earth Hour 2010. Personally, I wouldn't endorse lighting even candles during the Earth Hour. See Why not?

I believe the purpose of earth hour is just not an hour of saving energy. It is trying to incorporate that into your day-to-day routine. Every little bit everyday would make a huge difference overtime. There's a saying in my language, which, when translated to English means "An ocean is only comprised of small little droplets of water". Besides conserving energy, be sure to recycle items that can be recycled. More information on recycling is available here.

Add this to your calendars and set reminders for this a day or two in advance, so it remains in your mind. To summarize:

What: The Earth Hour
When: March 27th, 2010 8:30 - 9:30 p.m.
Where: Wherever you are

Feel free to link this post to spread the word. Have a happy Earth Hour!!

No comments: