Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ada Lovelace Day: The Technical Woman I admire

After I read Gail's email about Ada Lovelace Day, inspiring everyone to write a blog post about the technical woman/women they admire, I sat down to think. It was so true; somewhere deep down, I too was inspired by a woman. I don't think my post will make it to Ada Lovelace Day's website, since I am a bit late in writing this one. But it's never too late I guess.

Ever since I joined Grad school, I have been in constant touch with Christine Laurendeau. We shared the same lab, and that is how I got introduced to her. I still remember her first words to me, "I am glad there's another girl in the field of security"! Hmm, I thought, I gotta make the girls proud! She once came to present her research as a guest lecture in one of the courses I was taking. I was stunned by the amount of confidence she had. And I gained genuine interest in what she was doing.

Christine was finishing her Ph.D. around the time I started my research. She had also been appointed an instructor at Carleton University for the coming session. Since I was continuing to work on what she was doing, my supervisor Prof. Barbeau, suggested she could co-supervise my work. She would always explain things very well. I was impressed by the amount of knowledge she had. Both she and Prof. Barbeau would always encourage me by giving me positive feedback and believing in me. She has been a big motivation and help for me during my research. I will always appreciate her accepting to be a co-supervisor for me. Her researching and questioning skills have inspired me and taught me a lot. She doesn't know that, but seeing her has given me enough reasons to come back for a Ph.D somewhere down the lane. I am sure she does an awesome job at teaching and interacting with students as well; I see her office hours always packed with students.

She balances her family life and professional life just perfectly. So friendly, yet so professional, I don't think I have ever met a person who has awed me so much. I am so glad that we crossed paths! I wish her good luck with everything.

No comments: